Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:41:19 +1000
Pat writes:

<<I have had internet explorer for a long time and had no problems,
recently however when I am online after between 30 and 45 minutes I cannot
use internet explorer at all but am still connected and can use instant
messenger for as long as I want so the connection is still there.>>

I'm not aware of any IE settings that would cause IE to disable itself like
that.

I wonder if perhaps your computer is running out of resources after a
period of time, so that IE is simply not being given enough memory to be
able to function.  Rebooting will of course clear memory so that you can
start browsing again. Memory managers won't help here.

Please give us details about your computer, especially how much memory, the
OS, how much HD free space, browser version,  etc. Do you perhaps have a
"hijacked" version of IE such as an AOL version?

This problem could also be caused by having too many programs running in
the background, all eating up resources. With Wxx, if you are operating
near the limits, occasional rebooting helps clear the system. Less so with
XP with its superior memory management.

Try this:
Before opening IE, go into Task Manager and close everything not absolutely
necessary (ideally, you should only have Explorer.exe and Systray running).

Then connect to the internet, open IE only---nothing else, not even your
emailer, and browse away for an extended period.

If that improves things, then it's almost certainly a computer resources
problem---either shortage of memory, hard drive space, or having too much
running in the background----resulting in your browser simply grinding to a
halt.  Does it seem to slow down or things get a bit sluggish before it
stops working?

If not, we'll have to look at other possibilities.

Don Penlington
 From the beach at Surfers Paradise.
http://www.geocities.com/donaldpen/
for sunny Queensland photos, fractal art, free computer tutorials, and more.