Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
"John A. Haase" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 21:32:15 -0500
don penlington wrote:

> What I'd like to know is this (McAfee certainly don't make it clear on
> their Website, and I imagine it would be a waste of time writing to them):
>
> I have an older version of McAfee A-V, which states on the box that it
> gives "Lifetime updates".  (Whose life, I wonder---theirs or mine?).
>
> Now when I go to update my virus files, it says my engine is outdated and I
> need to purchase the latest version.  However, I can still download and
> install each latest virus data file OK.
>
> What advantage, if any, would I get by purchasing the latest
> "Engine".  What does it do that my current "Engine" (whatever that is)
> doesn't do?  Am I being fully protected now?
>
> When I purchased the product, I expected to be protected for life, as the
> box says, without any further expenditure.  Am I just another simple
> sucker?  Or is McAfee as good as its word?
>
> To give it its due, it did flash up a warning when a virus got posted to
> another List the other day.
>
> Don Penlington

Don,

The latest engine is a piece of junk! It has some SafeAndSound business
running in the background that is constantly backing up everything you
do and in the process slows down your machine and causes constant
crashes.

Also, the email scan doesn't work, but another listee said that it will
scan the emails when you open them or any attachments.

The only advantage that I saw to the new engine was that when you move
the cursor over various buttons it goes "bong". Big whoop!

I think that just updating your .dat files will keep you in good stead.

I wouldn't take their new engine if they gave it away, although the old
one worked fine.

Good luck,

John Haase

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: