Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
A&C Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 09:50:02 -0700
From: "John Finnegan"
Subject: [PCSOFT] Making space on HD

> Hello
>
> The hard drive on my PC is running out of Space. I have Windows 95.
>
> Would like to know what items I can delete and the best procedure for doing
> that.
>
> All help appreciated.
>
> Regards
-------------

In addition to what other list members have suggested...

Of this I'm certain - you can safely delete all files with a .GID (.gid) extension. ( Go to 'Start /
Find' then type: *.gid ). Those are generated every time any Windows help topic is queried, and
deleting them is the reason for the "Preparing to use help for the first time" message. Their
purpose is similar to "temporary Internet files" in that they provide quicker access to particular
help topics by storing database files on disk. Deleting them just means they get written again the
next time you ask for help in Windows. I used to delete them once a month. Depending on how many you
find, this could save an incredible amount of space.

Now this is going way back, but if memory serves, I believe Win 95 also has a folder named Windows
Setup Files (or something similar) and you'll find a text file in it which explains that you can
safely delete the folder and its contents. I STRONGLY urge you to find and read the text file before
removing the folder, especially because I don't absolutely recall the folder's name or location!!
( It may even have been the Win95 folder - I don't recall ). Either way, don't delete either folder
until you find the text file I'm referring to!! ( Which, unfortunately, I don't recall the name of
either, but it might be "delete.txt" ?? ). I do remember, however, that the files removed are all
stored in CAB files on the Win 95 CD if you ever need them. Removing the folder reclaims about 50 MB
of disk space.

I ran Win 95 on a 2 GB hard drive for years, so house cleaning was imperative. If I can recall any
other tips for reclaiming space, I'll post them. You could also try looking through the  archives at
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/pcsoft.html as that was a popular topic. hth

Al Thompson

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com