Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 2009 03:05:58 -0400
You may be "infected" with Norton 2009.
I don't allow Norton Products on my machines, and I strongly discourage
their use on my friend's machines. They have allegedly gotten better, but I
hear stories like yours all the time.
By not uninstalling the other products, you may have created some conflicts.
In particular, two AV products at a time is a bad idea.
I am dead set against Firewall products other than the native Windows one,
as the problems they cause are of ten too difficult for the unsophisticated
to resolve. My geeky friends tell me I'm wrong about this, but they don't
have to answer the phone calls about networks and printers that won't
connect.
All my machines use AVG and Windows Defender, and I have never had any
problems.

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:15 PM, David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

>  Thanks Hugh -- but that's actually kind of bad news,
>
>  Additional data point:  I found myself with a spare copy of Norton AV
> 2009.  When I try installing that on the machine -- and tell it to skip
> trying to uninstall Avast free and Zone Alarm, thank you kindly -- it
> installs and downloads updates just fine, and then I have a choice of
> two outcomes:
>
> 1.  Let it "Scan", and after 24 hours find the machine apparently frozen
> with no indication that the Scan is running or even HAS run, or
>
> 2.  Tell it to skip the Scan step (I should be able to run a scan after the
> install manually, right?) and have it collect error logs and report that
> installation failed and that I need to reboot to finalize cleaning up after
> the failure.
>
>  Of course, I can boot from the CD and let it scan my hard drives with
> definitions from last August which, not surprisingly, don't find any
> problems.  (Booted from the CD, it can't seem to talk to the Internet to
> get newer definitions....)
>

>  All of which suggests that I'm infected with something, but offers me
> no clue WHAT.
>
> David Gillett

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>