Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 21:49:29 -0400
At 18:56 5/26/99 , Pete Tremblay wrote:
 >When I try to start Win95A I get this message "While initializing
 >device IOS: Error: an I/O subsystem driver failed to load. Either
 >a file in the \iosubsys subdirectory is corrupt, or the system is
 >low on memory."
 >
 >A floppy was left in the drive on startup an I'm not sure what is
 >on it except the name of it. "Drvspace"...I can get Windows to
 >load in safe mode. The system is a Intel 233MMX...64MB PC100 SDRAM.

Hi Pete

There is an article at Microsoft's website that may you. The title
is "Err Msg: "IOS Failed to Initialize" on Boot". It's at
<http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q157/9/24.asp>.

I'll quote it here because you may have trouble getting to this
webpage if you haven't already registered for (free) support at
Microsoft's website.

<Start article>

"When you restart Windows 95 after installing a program or making a
  configuration change to your computer, you may receive one of the
  following error messages:

          Windows initializing device IOS: Windows protection error.
          IOS failed to Initialize, Please restart
          While initializing IOS: Windows protection error. You need
          to restart your computer.
          Windows initializing device IOS: Windows protection error.
          You need to restart your computer.

     After the error message is displayed, you may not be able to start
     Windows 95 normally. However, you should be able to start Windows
     95 in Safe mode.

     RESOLUTION

     It may also be possible to start Windows 95 normally after using
     the following procedure:

     1. Boot Windows 95 in Safe mode or to a command prompt.

     2. Perform one of the following two steps:

         - Edit the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files and disable any
           references to Smartdrv.exe. To disable a line, type "rem"
           (without quotation marks) at the beginning of the line.

         - Rename Smartdrv.exe to another name.

     3. Restart your computer normally.

     STATUS

     Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Windows 95
     and OEM Service Releases. An update to address this problem is now
     available, but should be applied only to systems experiencing this
     specific problem. Unless you are severely impacted by this specific
     problem, Microsoft does not recommend implementing this update at
     this time. Contact Microsoft Technical Support for additional
     information about the availability of this update.

     MORE INFORMATION

     The problem occurs only on certain system configurations, and does not
     occur if Internet Explorer 4.0 is installed on your computer. These
     system configurations have a minimum of 32 MB of RAM and a large number
     of device drivers. The problem is rare and can occur only at startup.
     Users whose systems are starting successfully today are not impacted.

<End of article>

If you want to try this update, you can download it from
<http://www.outdoorwriter.com/articles/computer/download/iosw95.zip>.
After downloading and uncompressing this update with PKZIP or WINZIP
to an empty directory, read the included text file (RMM2UPD.TXT) for
installation instructions. There is an article on this at
<http://www.outdoorwriter.com/articles/computer/flaw.htm>.

Regards,
Bill

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: