Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 15:47:23 -0500
>On 16 Mar 99, at 1:26, Kansara wrote:
>> I HAVE SOME CD ON WHICH I HAVE COPIED MY DATA IN INDIA.
>> I WAS USING THESE CD IN INDIA WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM BUT NOW
>> I AM IN DJIBOUTI WHERE MY COMPUTER REFUSE TO RECOGNISE THESE
>> BACK-UPED CD.
>> CD DRIVE OF MY COMPUTER IS WORKING PERFECTELY AND READS ALL OTHER
>> CD
>> THE DATA ON ABOVE CD IS COPIED BY ONE FRIEND FOR ME AND I AM
>> UNABLE TO INDICATE YOU BY WHICH PROCEDURE HE MADE IT.
(snip)

>David Gillett <[log in to unmask]> writes:
(snip)
>there are at least two options supported by many/most
>CD-R recorders that may not be supported on older drives:
>
>1.  CD-RW media
>  I'm told that many many CD-ROM drives have trouble
>reading these disks.

  Rick butts in here:  They only reflect about 25% of the light...
      So the CD-ROM reader _must_ adjust itself... (a lot)

>2.  Multi-Session
>  This allows for later additions to the CD, so it's the
>default for many CD-ROM recorders.  But some older drives
>may not understand how to find files from more than a single
>(probably first OR last) session.

Rick adds: It Should be last, but does not always follow "standards",
if it can see them at all. (Orange Book Part II standards.)

Unfortunately, the only way to see if a disk can be "sent" around
is to do some test recordings and see if they work...  If it
works once, for given "sets" of equipment, it should always work.

Here are some other possibilities for trouble:
If they recorded the CD and left the last session open.
Or closed the session and left the disk open.
Or recorded in the "wrong" format, or "mixed " formats.
CD-ROM XA Mode 2 format is good for multisession, or any data CD.
The Joliet file system should be used if you want long filenames
in Win95.  ISO9660 is good as an International standard with
cross platform support with short filenames.

To insure compatibility, you need a CD-ROM drive new enough to support
the standards your disk demands. (See if you can try the CD in a
new computer.) You "might" need a newer CD-ROM drive in your computer.
       Rick Glazier
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcsoft.html