Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Steve Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 17:03:17 -0500
Question:
How do I copy selected files, based on type, from a backup to a hard drive, maintaining the directory structure?

Background:
We're in the midst of a big project to upgrade and standardize 2000 PCs throughout our company. The first step is to make a backup copy of the customer's hard drive to the server. We then format the hard drive, install a standard image, and install optional software. The last thing we do is find all the customer's data files (.DOC, .XLS, etc.) and copy them to a directory named MYFILES. We convert 1-2-3 files to Excel, WordPerfect to Word, ... if needed.

Right now, all the .DOC files go to \MYFILES\DOCS, the .XLS files to \MYFILES\SSHEETS, etc. This is all handled with XCOPY in a batch file. This works for most customers, but a few advanced people have figured out what a directory is for and actually organized their files. (Most people have put all 2000 of their Word documents in the WINWORD directory with their executables, with the resultant calls from people who deleted "all those stupid .EXE and .DLL files because they were messing up my directory listing.")

To make the advanced users happy, is there a way to find all the data files and copy them, maintaining the customer's directory structure? We're doing everything from DOS at this point, so that's our preferred solution. I know I could have a programmer write a utility, but programmers are in short supply. I'm looking for DOS batch files and canned utilities first. Anyone have any suggestions?

                                  -----
        **Need help with PCSOFT mailing list? Send an Email to:**