Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 15:18:49 -0500
hello. list colleagues.  i have a query about transferring moderate
sized audio files.

i work in the news department of a small radio station in eastern
minnesota.  i am setting up a system of moving audio files (news clips
and news casts) between my station and an affiliated station twenty
miles away.  i have established an FTP site on our internet service
provider, and hooked up computers to audio mixers at each station.
right now i'm recording to a *.wav file via cool edit, then compressing
the file into an mp3 file via xing.  then it is uploaded and downloaded
at the other station.  i have found that xing there will not recognize
the file, even though it was created by xing at a different location.
all it plays back are files it converted from *.wav to *.mp3.  so i have
to use a different player (winamp) to decode it so it can be patched
into the mixer and eventually put on the air.  it works, but it's
complicated, and i want to set up a system where the process can be
taught and accomplished simply by all employees.  we need to compress to
mp3 because the computers are slow (486's, 28.8k modems) and time
becomes a factor.  the sorter audio files (e.g. 20-second news sound
bites) can be transferred in *wav format, but the longer ones (3-4
minutes) benefit from compression.  any suggestions on how this can be
more easily accomplished would be appreciated.  the idea (i've been
looking for a program) would be to record right to mp3, transfer, and
decode the mp3 to audio.  thanks in advance for your suggestions.

jim wishner in minnesota

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcsoft.html