Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:45:51 -0500
FWIW, this 'lesson learned' could help others just in case a similar problem
is ecountered.

A customer complained after renewing his NAV service subscription for
another year.  This morning while trying to do a live update, NAV's L/U
screen returned a message stating it cannot find the server; cannot connect
to service provider, and to check dial up connection (when the unit was
using DSL and was on line), etc.  Persistent troubleshooting produced a
message from Norton, advising the user to adjust the 'authorization' switch
from the owner's internet browser.  A check on the IE6.0 wasted my time.
Internet Option showed nothing.  Then  I remembered ZA.  Slid ZA's Security
bar one notch down to Low.  ZA started to confirm attempts from Norton to
access the computer.  I thought this was a good sign but it was
intermittent.  It worked/didn't work!

To make this story short, I end up disabling ZA, SpywareGuard, SpyBot and
Google Toolbar.  They interfered with the communication between the computer
and Norton.  During the service renewal process a message from Norton was
received saying that "for the protection of the subscriber and Norton,
Norton has to send a cookie to the destination subscibing computer and
unless the cookie is accepted, the 'communication' between Norton and the
subscriber will not be possible."  After going through the trouble of
spinning-my-wheel in finding the root of the problem, the following actions
were taken to make Norton give my customer, the service she had paid for a
year's subscription:

Disabled ZA, (It was set up to block incoming and outgoing messages
automatically),  SpyBot blocks Norton cookies and so did SpywareGuard.
Google Toolbar believe it or not, also blocked Norton from coming in,
without warnings.  It was only after disabling these utility programs that
Norton finally behaved normally and confirmed the customer's renewal
subscription plus the live update download.  Phewww...!

Emie DelRosario

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml