Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:18:39 -0700
On 28 Jul 99, at 9:13, Jung H. Tsai wrote:

> I am using Word97. Today I tried to save (using File-Save As) the following
> small document to floppy drive A. When I reopen the document later I was
> surprised to find that  Word generated a lot of extras to my original
> document. At the beginning it added "bjbjt+t+", then following the paragraph
> I typed, Word generated all those words starting with "Normal..."
>
> I'd greatly appreciate it if you can help me to correct the situation.

  Word's .DOC file format is an instance of OLE2/COM/ActiveX "Structured
Storage"; internally, it implements something a bit like a small file system,
containing all sorts of stuff besides your document text -- formatting info,
footnotes, annotations, document summary, embedded fonts, pictures, links to
other documents.  The list goes on and on and on.
  Very often, when you edit a line of text, it grows a little and will no
longer fit where it was.  Word will find somewhere else for it, and link it
into the structure so the document still displays correctly -- but the
original version is still there, and the .DOC file just grows.

  From the "Save As" dialog, you could choose to save your document in some
other format without this excess.  Most formats, like .TXT, will just save
the text content and *none* of the formatting, etc; that may be what you want.
  I believe you can keep most of the formatting and so on, while at least
losing old copies of text, by saving in .RTF format.

David G

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcsoft.html