Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Tom Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2004 08:15:58 -0700
I had the same problem with Word XP on a Windows XP Home laptop. When in
Word the program would start adding text on its own from sound off a nearby
TV. It's been a while so I can't give you exact directions, but I found the
place to turn off  the "speech (sound) to text" feature buried about five
levels deep in one of the menus for Word XP. It can be done. While I was at
it, I also found out how to turn off the "speech to text" feature in Windows
XP.

Good hunting.

Tom Mayer

----- Original Message -----
From: "Will Stephenson" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 8:16 AM
Subject: [PCSOFT] Microphone madness

Hello!

I have a client with an interesting problem (laptop with Windows XP home):
when he is typing in Word (XP), sometimes the program freezes for a few
seconds, then throws all the typed letters onto the screen all in a rush.
Stranger yet, sometimes letters appear that he hasn't even typed! My
immediate suspicion was an overactive microphone.

As we went through (over the phone) the various settings places in XP for
sound and microphone (volume icon in the system tray, sound and audio in
control panel, language in control panel), I found that there seemed to be
no way to actually turn the microphone off (the mute button was not able to
be unchecked). Since we were on the phone, I followed on my system and found
the same results.

The questions: Is there a way to turn a microphone off (we have turned sound
off completely which seems to do the trick)? And is there some setting in
Windows or in Word that controls this speech to text phenomena? There seems
to be no taskbar language bar issues here - again, that I can find.

Thanks for your help and thoughts!

Will Stephenson
mailto:[log in to unmask]

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: