Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 16:13:12 -0800
Hi Ian,

I had the same nuisance on my computer.  Our local computer news man, Doug
Stanley, gave me this info and it worked for me.  Hope it works for you.

"Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, then double click
Network.

On the Configuration tab, click to select Windows Logon in the Primary
Network Logon box, and then click OK.

When you are prompted to restart your computer, click No.

In Control Panel, double-click Passwords.  (If you canceled the network
log-on dialogue box when you started your computer the Change Passwords tab
may not be available.  You must log on so that the Change Passwords tab is
available).

On the Change Passwords tab, click Change Windows Password, select any of
the check box items that you want, and then click OK.

In the Change Windows Password dialogue box, type your windows password in
the Old password box.  Leave the New Password and Confirm New Password boxes
blank, click OK, and then click OK.

Click the User Profiles tab and verify that the "All users of this PC use
the same preferences and desktop settings" option is selected.  Click Close

Click Start, point to Find, and then click on Files or Folders.

Type "*.pwl" in the Names box, select local hard drives in the Look in box,
and then press Enter.  Right-click each of the.pwl files, one at a time,
click Rename, and then rename the file with an .old file name extension.
Shut down your computer, and then restart your computer.

If you don't disable the .pwl files, the passwords associated with those
files may be detected by Windows and the Windows Logon prompt may continue
to nag.

Shut down and then restart Windows.  That nuisance log-on prompt should be
history."

Hope this works for you, as it did for me.

Sincerely,

Camille Peterson

Camille
Date:    Sun, 11 Feb 2001 21:09:19 -0800
From:    John Ehrhart <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: ISP in the Greater New York, NY Area

George,

 Check out the website
http://www.thelist.com/
they should be able to give you an idea of those located in your area.

John Ehrhart
From: George A Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [PCSOFT] ISP in the Greater New York, NY Area

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 01:31:56 -0500
From:    Hal Jordan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Fatal Exception Error VXD VFAT(01)

If you have the Windows9x disk for your system, go to:
http://www.nospin.com/pc/pcs05-012.html

This utility did wonders for me!

Date:    Sun, 11 Feb 2001 22:57:42 EST
From:    Sue Fessenden <[log in to unmask]>

Hi I have started getting a blue screen with the error Fatal OE
0028:C004D7DB in VXD VFAT(01) + 0000B897. I have to restart to get out of
it.
It seems to happen when we are online. My computer is a micron 400 mgz ,
128mb ram, 40 gb hard drive(fat32), win98SE, AOL6.0. The computer came with
win98 loaded. I searched my hard dive and couldn't find the fat.vxd file. I
thought it would be in the windows system but its not. Can someone help me?

Thank you,  Sue Fessenden

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 00:27:08 -0500
From:    Ian Carmichael <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Outlook express

Maybe there's a filter in effect; check Message Rules under the Tools menu

>Recently I have stopped receiving my mail in my outlook express box. Yet My
outlook express says it has not had any problem accessing my Yahoo mail
>account. If I access it through my browser I can see mail in my inbox, But
I have had no luck downloading and I  get no error messages it behaves like
everything >is ok . I redid the yahoo mail account and even tried
synchronizing it and I still have the same result. So how come my mail isn't
coming to my outlook express >mailbox?

>Brendhan Horne

Ian Carmichael
Long Beach, CA

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:40:16 -0500
From:    Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Printing to File

At 2/9/01 06:21 PM, Lew Russakov wrote:

>Does anyone know how to print to file?

In addition to the other very good answers, there is a third option to use
if you are going to actually print a file on a known printer type.  Note
that you *must* use the specific printer for this to work.  I use this
method on my laptop when it is not connected to my printer back at the
office and I want to have several "printed versions" of the same document.

TO do this I set up a second identical printer using the "Add Printer" in
the Settings - Printers.  Then in the Printers - Details, I set the "Print
to the following port" to  "File".  Then when I want a print copy, I use
this printer to generate my printer file.  Back at the office I open a DOS
box and "copy" the files to the port the printer is connected to:

c:>  copy filename.prn LPT1

Just more info....

Doug

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:30:16 -0500
From:    Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Connection problems

It it doesn't sound like a time out problem with your ISP if it disconnects
just after you reconnect, so adjusting mail check times or changing the
time out will probably not help in your situation. It sounds like it may be
either a heat related problem or a modem driver problem.  You can check for
heat problems by just removing the computer case and running it for a while
with it off.  See if the problem reoccurs. If it is heat, then that will be
the subject of another threat to fix.  You could also check the Aptiva
downloads for later modem drivers by going to:

http://www.pc.ibm.com/support

and go through the menus to identify your model and then click
on  "Downloadable Files" in the left column.

Good luck,

Doug

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:41:05 -0500
From:    Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: DLL Problem in WIndows ME

The file WMPCORE.DLL is on your installation CD under the
path     \win9x   and in the compressed file

win_16.cab

You can navigate to it on your CD with Windows Explorer, double click it,
then select WMPCORE.DLL, click "File" on the menu bar, and select
"Extract".  That will get the dll from the CAB file.  Then you will need to
move the dll to its proper sub directory.

Hope this helps,

Doug

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:57:23 -0500
From:    Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: File extension .ptn

I believe this is an extension used with Paperport or Paperport32. If you
at one time had this program installed it may have left these files
behind.  (seem to remember that this was the extension assigned to
Thumbnails when documents were scanned in???).

Hope this gives you a clue.

Doug

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:53:36 -0500
From:    Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>

NetZero has a new offering... (Following is a Quote of their AD.)

>...introduce you to an exciting new service coming this March.
>It's called NZ Platinum - the Ultimate Internet - and it offers you
>an ultra-thin ZeroPort that doesn't show any banner ads and provides
>unlimited direct access to anywhere on the Internet.
>For only $9.95 per month, you get unlimited, direct access to
>anywhere on the Internet plus an ultra-thin ZeroPort
>with NO BANNER ADS.

They have always had POP3 and SMTP mail...
"Old NetZero accounts" are transferable with e-mail names intact...
A seventeen inch monitor (minimum) helps if you have the "Full ZeroPort"
enabled while you wait for the paid service...
http://www.netzero.com     Rick Glazier

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:27:37 +0000
From:    Gary Wigle <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Formating linux

 -----------------------------

Date:    Sun, 11 Feb 2001 16:34:36 -0500
From:    Brendhan Horne <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Formating linux

I have a 13 gig hdd that has Corel Linux on it. I would like to change =
it to Mandrake Linux. What is my best way to do that?
Thanks,
Brendhan Horne

 -----------------------------
Gary Wigle writes:
Really need more info Brendhan. How do you have your drive set up now and do
you want to save anything. What version of Mandrake are you using? The
install program that comes with Mandrake will let you do just about
anything.
I like setting up the hard drive with at least partitions. Swap, "/", and
"/home".

Regards,
Gary Wigle
--
Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord,
    and he shall lift you up. (James 4:10)

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 11 Feb 2001 21:47:34 -0800
From:    Randy Goldenberg <[log in to unmask]>

On Sunday February 11, 2001, Brendhan Horne wrote:

> I have a 13 gig hdd that has Corel Linux on it. I would
> like to change it to Mandrake Linux. What is my best way
> to do that? Thanks, Brendhan Horne

Having had Corel on the drive will spare you a partitioning
and formatting, but that's about it. You'll have to do a
clean install of Mandrake.

R.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:21:43 -0700
From:    A&C Thompson <[log in to unmask]>

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 15:02:25 -0500
From:    Brendhan Horne <[log in to unmask]>

> Gary Wigle writes:
> Really need more info Brendhan. How do you have your drive set up now and
do
> you want to save anything. What version of Mandrake are you using? The
> install program that comes with Mandrake will let you do just about
anything.
> I like setting up the hard drive with at least partitions. Swap, "/", and
> "/home".

Mandrake 7.1 is what I will be loading, And there is nothing on the hard
drive I want to save.
Thanks,
Brendhan Horne

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:56:47 -0600
From:    Harvey Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: windows 2000

I have successfully installed w2k professional workstation as a client
on my home pc 128mb/8gig hd/350mhz cpu; As long as you can find updated w2k
drivers for your hardware and software if needed you should be fine.  I
have not yet encounter any problems with running w2k or any applications so
far. I aslo dual boot with me on this pc.

Running w2k advanced server with active directory on other pc.
So far so good.  No crashes;basic server/client setup; haven't put os
under more stressful conditions.

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Dolores Dewbury wrote:

> What do you think of Windows 2000? Someone told me it is better than 98,
with
> much less crashes. Has anyone gone to 2000? I would appreciate hearing
from
> you with an opinion.
> thanks,
> dolores dewbury
>
>              Do you want to signoff PCSOFT or just change to
>                     Digest mode - visit our web site:
>                    http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml

                         * * HARVEY MORRIS**
                    |   A Man Must Grow Through   |
                    |   the Maturing of His Mind  |
                    |_____________________________|

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 14:21:48 -0700
From:    Wanda Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Outlook Express/gedcom

I am trying to send a genealogy file ( *.ged) to a cousin who uses Outlook
Express (I use Eudora Pro).  He said the gedcom file shows up in his
Outlook Express as a text file.  You should be able to just doubleclick on
it to have it open up your genealogy program.  Does anyone know what he
should do to make it work right?

Thanks

Wanda

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 08:59:40 -0700
From:    A&C Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: file Open with

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:53:44 -0500
From:    Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>

I think Yahoo has had a problem for a day or two... I was on the WEB site
reporting it when - just before hitting "send" for the complaint -, I ran my
mail one
last time and it finally worked...  (I got 147 messages.)
The messages are not being removed from my mailbox there, just being marked
"read"...  I expect them to fix that next...
I am (and have) left my settings alone and will wait for the "problems" to
work
themselves out...

                   Rick Glazier at yahoo dot com
Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:03:13 -0600
From:    Tim Key <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Windows 2000 Professional and AMD K7 900MHz Processor

I am considering upgrading to Windows 2000 Professional and was wondering is
there are any problems running this OS on an AMD machine?  With the old AMD
chips there were issues running Win NT and just wanting to make sure that is
will work.  Thanks!

Tim Key

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 14:29:06 -0500
From:    Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Free Music Program

I prefer UltraPlayer because it uses much less resources than others I've
tried, plays MP3's, CD's, many other file types, has visuals, very
configurable, simple, supports play-lists and is FREE.  It does send data
about the type of music that you play back to the site but your email
address is optional for receiving their ads.  They are very up front about
their use of the data and you can make the choice of using the program or
not.

Doug

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:37:15 -0500
From:    Art Young <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: KAK Virus

Last night I removed 3 kak virus's using Inoculate. They are gone but now I
have to restore what was removed. I am using Explorer 5.0 & Windows 98. The
file for my signature on outgoing emails is gone & also
C:\WINDOWS\STARTMENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP\KAK.HTA is not restored. Would
appreciate help with fixing this. I may also be missing something else as
Inoculate removed 3 virus's.This is first virus I ever got & need some help,
please.
Thanks in advance

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:08:03 -0700
From:    Dan & Carol Hanson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Remove W98 Log on pop up

Someone had asked how to remove a W98 log-on pass word.  This was the
advice:  Go into Control Panel, Network properties, and change the Primary
Network
Logon to "Windows Logon". When you reboot your system there will be no logon
screen or password.

I tried this, but it didn't work.  It's still there.  Does anyone have any
further suggestions?  Thank you  in advance.

C. Hanson

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 17:02:57 -0700
From:    Dan & Carol Hanson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Email Question

I would like to either copy or send some of my older email messages to a
diskette, but don't know how to do it.  Any suggestions? Thanks!

C. Hanson

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:22:47 -0800
From:    Sonny <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: My Favorites Folder

     How do you save My Favorites Folder to floppy disk???I seen it
in your newsletter but did not print it off and now I have forgotten
how to do it...
Thanks,
~Sonny Wade~

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 11 Feb 2001 21:24:00 -0800
From:    Brad Loomis <[log in to unmask]>

Hello George,
I don't live in NY, but California, however I am happy with Earthlink. I
have them for DSL now. I was with them years ago and they really stunk. They
have vastly improved. They are nationwide now. Plus they probably will be
around for a while as they have bought up a lot of smaller ISPs. Well I did
just see that they my be a small fish looking to be swallowed by someone
larger in today's LA Times. You can try
https://custos.earthlink.net:7002/PopBrowseUS.jsp and see if there is a
local number for you. They are trying to be a sort of AOL, but you don't
have to use their software, as I don't and it keeps my system nice and tidy.
Brad Loomis
Los Angeles, CA

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 08:15:53 -0800
From:    tannis zamora <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: late-nite@ISP

Hi Tom,

I forwarded your email question to the owner of my Internet Service
Provider.
I live in Elko, Nevada and Pete owns our local ISP elko.net.  This is his
response to your inquiry. I hope this helps.   tannis zamora

Tom McCoy wrote:

> Can someone comment on what the guy (late-nite, unsupervised) at the ISP
is
> capable of?  Not long ago, as I was reading my mail at 3:30am, my Zone
> Alarm started alerting me that my ports were being scanned progressively,
> and that the probe was apparently originating one step upstream from my
> machine (at my ISP's DNS address).  After about 150 alerts, all in about a
> 2min timeframe, I disconnected.  I printed out the ZA logfile and appended
> to it a "What's this?" message and sent it in with my monthly payment, the
> outer envelope marked "Attn: Management", with a request "Please reply to
> this inquiry", and never received any kind of reply (it's been around 90
> days now).
>
> While I don't really expect them to admit to any hanky-panky, other
> questions are raised here:
>
> Can they enter my machine (especially when I am FTP-connected to their
> server)?
> Can they reproduce my screen for their viewing when I am browsing the web?
> If so, can they view transaction details generated from my end (credit
card
> info) when I'm connected to a secure server?
> What exactly are they capable of, as far as compromising a dial-up
> subscriber's security?

Subject:
        questions
   Date:
        Mon, 12 Feb 2001 06:34:03 -0800
   From:
        "Pete" <[log in to unmask]>
     To:
        "tannis zamora" <[log in to unmask]>

The first and most needed understanding is:
The only secure computer is in fact one not on a network, and  under lock
and
key.

>>>Can someone comment on what the guy (late-nite, unsupervised) at the ISP
is capable of:

If they are nefarious (if term proper here) almost anything.

>>>While I don't really expect them to admit to any hanky-panky.

You should be answered fully to the best of management's knowledge.  Try and
call if no response, and find a different provider. Don't
threaten them the first time;  if no response then kindly inform them you
will
be telling any other people you know using them of this
situation and post it on discussion boards that you use.

>>>Can they enter my machine (especially when I am FTP-connected to their
server?

If you have your harddrive set with shares with proper permissions, however,
with proper software an upload maybe possible.

>>>Can they reproduce my screen for their viewing when I am browsing the
web?

Not unless you have open software sent that allows this to take place.

>>>If so, can they view transaction details generated from my end (credit
card when I'm connected to a secure server?

Sniffer software can catch data however under secure server situations
unless
they are within that unit most likely not, again refer
to the only secure computer is one not on a network.

>>>What exactly are they capable of, as far as compromising a dial-up
subscriber's security?

With a grand desire.... anything

Now there are a couple of company's that are hired to keep track of
another's
Network.
I ran across a Virus (worm is the term as it works into your system) my
thought
anything that messes with your software is a
virus, This virus uses part of one of the above company's program to scan
IP's
and then look for a C: drive that is shared, to do this
is must scan computers, once it finds an IP number with a shared C: drive it
will upload it self to that computer, infest the unit and
then do the same thing from that unit.
It's name
W32.HLLW.Bymer

To check on this and check you security
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/
is one place to go
http://www.mcafee.com
may also give you more knowledge

Also it is not good to do forwards the email address can be picked up and
used
for spamming purposes. As you can tell I highlighted
and then copyed the information. Then did a reply.

Pete

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:06:58 -0500
From:    Brendhan Horne <[log in to unmask]>

> Maybe there's a filter in effect; check Message Rules under the Tools menu

My next stop is going to be the twilight zone I swear. For almost a week I
was unable to get my messages from my yahoo mail account. I had sent letters
to yahoo ( I am still waiting for a response ) , I had rebuilt the account
in outlook express, synchronized it ect. ect. .No luck.  This morning I
tried my outlook express and it worked like there had been no problem ever.
Downloaded my mail and went on about it's existence, I don't know what
caused it I suspect it was on Yahoo's end but I am don't have enough techie
knowledge to confirm that. Thanks for trying if there is any ideas on how I
could confirm if this was a yahoo problem or a outlook problem ( should it
ever happen again ) please pass along those ideas to me.
Thanks,
Brendhan Horne

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:53:51 -0500
From:    Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Spam

Assuming you have received the message in Juno, turn on full header display,
_AND_  then save the message as a text file. ("Crush" the header window so
you
do not have to look at all of it...)
Then either "copy and paste" or forward the text file.
Note: Some places do not accept or open attachments as part of a report...
Hope this helps...          Rick Glazier

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:29:22 -0800
From:    Lew Russakov <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Viruses

Just received another copy of Ha Ha Ha which I promptly deleted, but it
got me to wondering, how does it send this virus to everyone in your
address book.

Usually you get a notification of how many messages are in your Out Box.
Would that alert you?

Finally, being on Juno which does not use Outlook for storing addresses,
would it still be able to resend itself?

Thanks.

Lew Russakov
Huntington Beach, CA

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:56:32 -0500
From:    Demetri Kolokotronis <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Close Windows

Any recommendation for a simple program to close all open Windows, Win98?
CloseAll recommended, but only works for My Computer, and several
attempts to download produced no response from site. The Closer allegedly
works for Explorer Windows, but ZDNet tester said couldn't get it to
perform.

Demetri Kolokotronis
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

End of PCSOFT Digest - 11 Feb 2001 to 12 Feb 2001 (#2001-44)