Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 15:26:08 -0400
At 12:05 02-09-98 -0500, you wrote:
>I believe that with Win95 you need to use the Xcopy32 command...

Here is something that I posted to PCSOFT almost a year ago:

The program xcopy32 has two parts. A 16 bit part (sort of a limited
edition) that works when xcopy32 thinks that it was called from a
DOS environment and the full (32 bit) version that works when
xcopy32 perceives that it is being run within the Win95 GUI.

If you run xcopy32 after booting from a floppy, or running Win95 in
DOS mode, or after booting to Command Prompt Only, or even from a
DOS prompt (within Win95) where the box "Prevent MS-DOS based
programs from detecting Windows" is checked, xcopy32 will not run
with the full set of switches.

Raymond Chen ([log in to unmask]), the author of xcopy, has posted
about this program in the comp.os.ms-windows.apps.utilities.win95
newsgroup. The following (from several of Raymond's posts) is quoted:

Don't run xcopy32 directly. Ever. Always run xcopy.
Xcopy.exe...sets up a few things and then runs Xcopy32 with the
appropriate settings...

If you are running in Windows mode, xcopy runs the 32-bit version of
xcopy32.exe.  If you are running in DOS mode, xcopy runs the 16-bit
version of xcopy32.exe.  (Yes, xcopy32.exe is two, two, two programs
in one.) If you look carefully, xcopy.exe is a tiny little program.
Xcopy is just a little front-end for xcopy32, which is where all the
real work happens... It was a mistake to give that other file the name
"xcopy32.exe".  I should've called it "xcopy.mod"...
Xcopy.exe is the only program you should run.

I was given five days to add LFN support to Xcopy...I did what I could
in the time I had...it was easier to add the /h option to the Win95
version than the DOS version. (The DOS version is written in assembly
language. The Win95 version is written in C.)....I had some time left
over, so I added /H and /K and /L and a few other switches to the
32-bit version.

If you are running in DOS mode, then only the DOS xcopy features are
available. Xcopy handles everything, *provided* you run it from within
the Windows 95 GUI. The /H and /K options are supported only in Windows
95 mode.

<<<<<<<

Regards,
Bill

                                  -----
        **Need help with PCSOFT mailing list? Send an Email to:**