Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Milke Mullins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 08:20:26 -0500
Extended ML

Extended ML (EML) is a framework for specification and formal development of
Standard ML (SML) programs. EML specifications look just like SML programs
except that axioms are allowed in signatures and in place of code in
structures and functors. Some EML specifications are executable, since SML
function definitions are just axioms of a certain special form. This makes
EML a "wide-spectrum" language which can be used to express every stage in
the development of a SML program from the initial high-level specification
to the final program itself and including intermediate stages in which
specification and program are intermingled.
Formally developing a program in EML means writing a high-level
specification of a generic SML module and then refining this specification
top-down by means of a sequence (actually, a tree) of development steps
until an executable SML program is obtained. The development has a tree-like
structure since one of the ways to proceed from a specification is to
decompose it into a number of smaller specifications which can then be
independently refined further. In programming terms, this corresponds to
implementing a program module by decomposing it into a number of independent
sub-modules. The end-product is an interconnected collection of generic SML
modules, each with a complete and accurate specification of its interface
with the rest of the system. The explicit interfaces enable correct reuse of
the individual modules in other systems, and facilitate maintainability by
making it possible to localize the effect on the system of subsequent
changes in the requirements specification.

Current research is on: the semantics