Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Roxanne Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 1998 07:39:24 -0800
1.  In your network icon in Control Panel, make sure you have Client for
Microsoft Networks, Dialup Adapter, and TCP/IP protocol loaded.  Unless you are
on a physical network of some sort, make sure those are the ONLY things loaded.
 Then, on that same network configuration page, make sure your "Primary Network
Logon" is "Windows" and NOT "Client for Microsoft Networks".  Reboot the
computer. When the password prompt for Win95 comes up this time, be sure
something (like "Mick") is entered in the login box, and that the password box
is empty.  Press enter (or click OK).  It should ask you to confirm your
non-existent password.  Press enter again (or click OK).
           That *should* take care of Win95 asking for your password on
startup.  If it doesn't, let us know, because something else needs to be
adjusted.

2.  Once you take care of the above steps, you should now be given the option
of checking "remember my password" when you log on to the internet, so that
*after* you've done everything in number one, and *after* the next time you log
on to the internet (and entered your password with the "remember" checked), you
should not be asked for that password again.

The theory behind this:  In order for Windows 95 to have a working password
file (which includes the password for Win95 itself, for Dialup networking, and
a few other things), you must "log on" to your computer each time you restart
it.

If you get a password screen at Win95 startup, and use the ESC key instead of
entering a logon name and password, you have NOT logged on to Windows 95, and
you have NOT activated a password file.  Therefore, you won't be able to get
IE4 or Dialup Networking to remember a password -- as far as Win95 is
concerned, there is no active password file in which to store such a password.

The reason one should choose "Windows" logon instead of "Client for Microsoft
Networks" logon is in order to bypass the startup logon screen, while still
enabling the password file for such things as dialup networking.  People on a
network who have to use a real password to logon should use the default "Client
for Microsoft Networks".

Roxanne Pierce
R2 Systems, San Diego
mailto:[log in to unmask]