Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
don penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 02:21:56 -0600
Ed writes:

<<While booting on windows 98 machine, a message that stops the boot process
reads:
Cannot find a device file. Windows registry or the system.ini refers to the
device but it does not exist.
Reinstall or replace the missing application or file:
vnetbios.vxd>>

This is a common type of error message.

First, run Find and see if the file is in your computer.  It should be in
your root drive (usually C).

The message often occurs when you have uninstalled a program but the
uninstall has left a remnant behind telling the computer to load the
missing file at startup.

This direction may be in System.ini or it may be in an autoexec.bat or in
one of the Registry locations.

You can do either of 2 things.

Best is to locate which program needs the file--it's most likely something
you've recently removed.  If you go to my tutorial on "Computer slow to
start" you will find the various locations from which startup directions
can be given. Just delete any entries that are now redundant. You can
read/edit system.ini or autoexec.bat in Notepad.  You may have to uncheck
their "Read-only" properties first.

Or you can simply replace the file--- it's on the Win 98 disk and you can
extract it from the Cab files if you know how.  Easier,  ask someone to
email the Win 98 version it to you---it's only tiny. Make sure you specify
which version of 98 you have. Place it in the Root directory.

Let me know if you want a list of the Win98 cab files so you can locate it.

But I never like loading a file which is not actually needed, it only slows
the system down.  Better by far to remove the offending instruction.

Write me direct if you need further help.

Don Penlington
Free computer tutorials at: http://www.geocities.com/donaldpen/
Also Fractal Galleries,  free icons,  poetry,  and beautiful Queensland beaches.