Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 20:12:10 -0500
You can also try an online viral scan. Trend Housecall works well.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Toni Jones

-----Original Message-----
From: PCSOFT - Personal Computer software discussion list
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Dent
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 3:08 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCSOFT] How to get rid of Trojan Horse Startpage.DA

Olushola,

You could try a different virus program like avast, but that will probably
not work. The next best thing to do is go to the AVG site and read to find
out about this infected file and the possible virus.  If you get no
satisfaction at AVG then I would do the next steps.

Get a clean copy of the infected file by doing a Google search for
msconfd.dll. Download it and and try to copy over (replace) the infected
file. If that doesn't work then do the following:

You need a program like BC Wipe to remove the infected file. Do another
Google search - this time for BC Wipe. Download it, install it and run it.
It's a free, small program that will try to erase a selected file and clean
up the free disk space., but if it is in a windows protected state it will
tell you that it will remove the file at the next reboot. (The infected file
may be required to start windows so only remove if you feel safe doing
that.)

So reboot and it will be gone. Then replace it with the newly downloaded
msconfd.dll. (I'm not sure what this file does but it sounds like a
Microsoft configuration library file that controls a windows function. Also
it may contain settings that will be lost when replaced by a new version.)

This is my method of repairing virus infected files that can't be fixed in a
virus checker but listen to the more experienced experts on this board.
They may have a better method and know more about the infected file.

J. Dent

At 05:08 PM 3/10/2004, you wrote:
>AVG has found the subject virus but can not delete it. It says
>"C:\windows\system32\msconfd.dll can not be removed".
>This file is apparently infected. How can I correct this situation.
>
>Thanks
>
>Olushola Sowande
>
>              Do you want to signoff PCSOFT or just change to
>                     Digest mode - visit our web site:
>                    http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com