Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 16:34:40 -0800
On 20 Mar 98 at 9:41, Paul Burgess wrote:

> Running both Windows 95 and NT (on separate machines) I was
> wondering why 95 ships with a defrag utility whereas NT does not.
> Is this because NT does not require one or are Microsoft being
> tight ? Do I need to purchase a third party application ?

  In theory, NTFS uses an advanced allocation strategy which
minimizes the need to defragment the disk, and in NT 3.x there was no
way to write a defragmenter except possibly by writing your own disk
driver.  NT 4.0 includes APIs for such a tool, and there are several
on the market.  The most widely recommended -- MS has licensed it for
inclusion in NT 5.0 -- is DiskKeeper; you can download a 30-day eval
copy from the DiskKeeper web site.

> Also, the scandisk utility on NT appears to be a dos version which
> produces a warning message about accessing the hard disk directly
> which cannot be supported. Again, do I need to purchase a third
> party application ?

  ARe you using FAT16, or NTFS.  I don't think a DOS app is going to
deal with NTFS.  If you use a DOS defragger, I would do it from a DOS
boot and not attempt to run it in a window.

David G