Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 10:20:07 -0700
On 6 Aug 99, at 4:35, Kevin Nowicki wrote:

> I used Norton's AV v5.0 standard boot disk to boot from.  As a matter of
> fact, Norton did indicate the "Swiss_Boot" virus in the MBR.  Researching
> that virus indicates it only contains a message in german so I didn't
> think it was malicious.  Norton said to use rescue disks to remove the
> virus but there are no rescue disks for that machine.  I was unable to
> locate AV software that would remove the virus and could be loaded in small
> enough files to fit on a floppy (there's no cdrom).  I did find AV software
> that would indicate the virus but not remove it.

  While FDISK /MBR can be dangerous with *some* boot-sector viruses, it
doesn't sound like you're left with much choice.  Make sure you boot (to DOS)
with an uninfected floppy....

> Also, the config.sys file I provided is the one on the machine, not on the
> floppy I boot from.  Is that what I should do?  Put the config.sys on the
> floppy?

  Well, you reported that trying to load Windows, you got a message that
HIMEM.SYS was missing -- but you seemed to find it on the hard drive okay.
In order for Windows to load, HIMEM.SYS has to have been loaded by CONFIG.SYS
when the machine was booted.  If you boot from a floppy, then, the CONFIG.SYS
on the floppy must load HIMEM.SYS or Windows will not load.  [This will all
become moot if FDISK /MBR gets you back to being able to boot from the hard
drive....]

David G

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>