Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 08:37:53 -0600
At 01:30 PM 4/21/99 , Bob Thrasher wrote:
>I am looking for a program to upload a file from a customers computer to a
>web site. I do not want to use FTP as it would divulge the password for the
>web site. It needs to be simple to use and hopefully run as a script or macro.
>
>The file may be updated and sent to the web site up to 24 times a day by
>different operators. The file will always have the same name and will need
>to be placed on the remote web site at a fixed URL. So their clients can
>download the data at any time.
>
>Again security is a must. I don't want the password loose to all of the
>operators as some might want to run and play in the HTML stuff.
>
>Any ideas are appreciated. I have searched the web but so far have come up
>empty handed.

I have done this in the past and it can take a bit of work.   The easiest way to
handle it is to use a perl script or CGI, (check with your web host to see if you
can have a perl script or CGI added to their CGI-BIN directory).  Several such
CGIs or scripts  can be found at:
     http://www.cgi-resources.com/Programs_and_Scripts/Perl/File_Uploading/

This way you do not require any special application software for your users,
they can do it from their web browser.

You can get creative by password protecting the access to upload files to
the directory or the download directory by using a Perl script...  here is
a location to download some excellent scripts to handle this issue:
   http://www.cgi-resources.com/Programs_and_Scripts/Perl/Password_Protection/

Remember that the idea is to make it as easy for the user as possible, so
requiring they use special application software vs. their regular web browser
is always too intrusive.  By using scripts to create access and upload from
the user's web browser, it will make you look 'great' as the Webmaster...
  *wink*

                Bob Wright
       The NOSPIN Group, Inc
http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org