Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
tannis zamora <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 07:51:15 -0600
Hi Rick,

Yes I have the disk in a jewel case, the book with the LONG product key number
right on the front of it printed as the Certificate of Authenticity.  There is
NO orange sticker on the jewel case or the cd.
The Book says "FOR DISTRIBUTION WITH A NEW PC ONLY". This certificate has a heat
sensitive security strip interwoven into the top of the manual cover.  If you
rub that strip the word "Genuine" is revealed.
The manual itself has a holographic thread interwoven into the base of the
manual cover.  When manual is tilted the word "Microsoft" and "Genuine" is
revealed.
Also when you attempt to load an OEM disk onto any other computer besides the
OEM the product key letter/numeral spacing is different so when prompted to
enter this on your screen you cannot do so.

And unlike the disks that come with a namebrand computer, this disk can be
loaded onto another computer that I may build and legally be mine as long as I
do not sell or commercially exploit the software.
That name brand computer has "customized" the operating system disks to work
only on it's original equipment.
I wanted to use my Win 98 disk from my old namebrand computer rather then pay
the extra $109.  And that was the explanation given to me by the computer store
as to why that couldn't be done.

In a nutshell, the OEM disks that come with a namebrand computer are not
supposed to work on another namebrand computer nor be compatible with components
other then the OEM components.  But the "full version" higher priced disks are
supposed to be able to work on any system.

tannis zamora

Rick Glazier wrote:

> If they sold you a BOXED MS disk right off a store shelf
> as an after market Full Release, do you have the box,
> the book, and everything that came with it?
> At the very least, do you have an MS CD in a jewel case
> (or card board sleeve) with an Orange sticker on it with
> a very long serial number (Product Key) on it?

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml