Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 07:24:17 -0700
  One of the long-standing security issues with Windows has been users who
always are administrators, even when they rarely need those privileges.  It
has meant that any malware they get, such as drive-by browser downloads, LSO
gets to run as an administrator....

  Microsoft tried very hard to fix this in Vista, by introducing a scheme
where even if an account is marked as an administrator, it only gets those
privileges when the need for them is confirmed somehow.  So instead of "You
don't have permission", it *should* pop up a confirmation dialog.  (For what
it's worth, recent versions of Apple's OSX behave the same way...)

  It's *possible* that Symantec has overridden this behaviour.  Certainly
they were loudly unhappy with some of the security "features" of Vista.

David Gillett
(not yet ready to trust my business or career to Vista)

On 24 Apr 2008 at 19:02, Bob Lendrim wrote:

> Hi Rick,
> I have a Lenovo T60 running Vista Business. I removed the
> Symantec/Norton security after I bought it. When I try to save a txt
> (notepad) file to C:\, I get a small window which says the following:
> "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the
> administrator to obtain permission." I am the only user and am
> administrator. The window is not identified. It is common to get
> "anonymous" windows and that is a pet peeve of mine.
>
> Next I right clicked on "Notepad" in my startup list, and selected
> "Run as administrator". Then I was able to save the txt file to c:\. I
> ran across one other program which didn't work normally unless I "ran
> as administrator".
>
> Bob Lendrim

                 our special coffee cups and mouse pads
              with the PCSOFT logo...  at a great price!!!