Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 20:33:37 -0700
On 5 Oct 2003 at 14:56, Ian wrote:

> A customer is running Win2K Pro\SP4 on a laptop.  She phoned to report
> that suddenly she is unable to create Word docs in her usual fashion.
>

> She does this by using a method I wasn't aware of, which is to go to
> My Documents, then File\New\Word Document.
>
> She then attempts to name the new document, which she does by hitting
> the backspace key, (thus removing all of the characters from the text
> entry box) but after she's named it and hits 'Enter', Windows
> complains of a 'sharing violation'. (her words)
>
> (She has file extensions turned off, so I can only presume that
> Windows is proposing the correct .doc file type)
>
> I have two questions:
> 1. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

  I usually get a "sharing violation" if some other program has the file
open when I try to move or rename it.  Occasionally it appears to be a false
alarm, and trying again works fine.
  (I believe some of the recent email viruses peek into .doc files, either
looking for email addresses to target/spoof, or looking for convincing-
sounding tect to copy.  I've a hunch that my occasional false alarms may be
due to anti-virus checking the newly-created file....)

> 2. How does one add 'Word Document' to the My Docs\File\New\ menu?

  There's a magic folder in each user profile called "Templates" which
contains blank files of various types.  There's a set of registry keys which
associate "Word Document" as a menu entry with the blank Word document in
the template folder, and when you pick it from the menu the template gets
copied to the folder you're working with and highlights the name for you to
change it.

> The Word option certainly isn't available on my own XP machine's menu,
> so I can't check the validity of what she's telling me.

  If you have Word properly installed, it should have added it.

David Gillett

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>