Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 03:23:47 -0800
On 16 Sep 99, at 14:17, Wayne Bonnett wrote:

> Hi All!  I need to write a program within VB and it needs to be an NT
> service.  Can anyone tell me what I need to do so that the app I am writing
> runs as a service?

  These two requirements *may* be in conflict with each other.  In
order to run as a service, an executable has to register with the
service manager, and as part of that registration I believe it
provides a pointer to a service-control routine.  In older versions
of VB, I know that it wasn't possible to construct an acceptible
pointer to a VB function for this purpose.  [I am not certain whether
this is still true.]

  The best book I know of on writing NT services is published by WROX
Press:  "Professional NT Services" by Kevin Miller.  See

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1861001304/o/qid=937563496/sr
  =2-1/002-6494178-5161060

(That should be all one line....)
  Unfortunately, all of the examples are in C.

  It is possible to launch other executables from a service; in fact,
I believe there's a utility called SRVANY.EXE to do just that.  You
may be able to get away with writing your code as a VB application
and using this sort of utility to run it as a service.
  I've also been able to sidestep implementing stuff as services
sometimes by having the Schedule service launch the application.
This might also work in your case.

David G

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>