Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 23:33:28 -0800
On 20 Sep 99, at 22:37, Ashok Bhiman GMX wrote:

> My system is a P166 MMX with 512 kb cache, 64MB RAM and 1.2 GB HDD.
> I have Grolier's Multimedia Encyclopedia 1995 which was running
> fine under Win3.1. However on upgrading to Win95, it did not run.
> Now I have Win98 and still it does not run. The program loads and
> the opening screen comes on. On attempting any other action I get
> an  error window with the message"SYSTEM RESOURCES ARE LOW< CLOSE
> ONE OR MORE WINDOWS".

  System "resources" are memory within the OS that is used on behalf
of applications, to hold objects such as fonts, windows, cursors,
icons, and so on.  Unfortunately, there are two important limitations:

1.  There is only a fixed-size pool of space for resources in use.
This was done for efficiency in early versions of Windows for the
286, and although Win 95 and 98 have expanded the area somewhat, they
haven't been able to get rid of this limitation entirely without
breaking compatibility with legacy applications that were written for
older Windows versions.
  This means that your 64MB of RAM doesn't get you any bigger
resource area than someone with 8MB of RAM in their machine.

2.  Resources can be shared between applications, so the system
doesn't attempt to track which process allocated which resources.
This means that whenever a process ends without de-allocating its
resources, a "resource leak" occurs -- the space taken by those
resources will not be reusable until Windows is rebooted.
  This can occur in two ways:  as an application bug (the fact that
the OS doesn't track resource use means that applicaions have to), or
as a side effect of applications terminated externally, such as from
the Task Manager or the list shown when you press Ctrl-Alt-Del.

  Since the resource area within Win 9x is larger than it was in 16-
bit versions of Windows, it would be surprising for an application
that worked under Win 3.1 to provoke this message under Win 9x due to
some problem in the application itself.  I have, however, seen a bug
that could have this effect.  Unfortunately, if the bug is in the
application itself, it is likely that only Grolier can help you --
and their help with the 1995 version may consist of little more than
a recommendation to upgrade to the 1999 version.  [If you're lucky,
they may offer you a discount on the upgrade as an owner of a
previous version.]

David G

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcsoft.html