Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bob Lendrim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 15:25:15 -0400
Hi Carol,
I don't fully understand the problem. Do you have MS Word installed on your new computer? Look in "Control Panel" - "Add/Remove Programs". Maybe it's just a matter of "associating" the proper program with those files. My Wordpad V5.1 files are .RTF files and I see no option to change that. My MS Word V2000 files are .DOC files. I can read my .RTF files with either Word or Wordpad programs.
Try Shift/Right click the file name in Explorer, and choose "Open with". Then try Wordpad and Word, if you have it. If you're desparate, you may be able to read the contents with Notepad. I hope they're not corrupted, just need the proper program to read.

If you don't have the necessary program, Here is a link to download FREE Microsoft Word (2003 & earlier) Viewer. Perhaps it is the "program" you had before. It won't let you write or modify those files, but you should be able to read them. It's an 11.7 MB download, big if you're using a phone modem. There are similar "viewers" downloadable FREE for MS Excel and Powerpoint. These viewers should not corrupt any files, but the file "association" may be changed.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=95e24c87-8732-48d5-8689-ab826e7b8fdf&DisplayLang=en

Another alternative: look on EBay for MS Works 2005 which includes MS Word 2002. Looks like you can "buy it now" between $30-40. Or Pricewatch.com has Word 2000 about $30. So it's not necessary to pay $ hundreds for a new version of MS Office.
Hope this helps, Bob Lendrim

From: Carol <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sep 22, 2005 2:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCSOFT] Help with WordPad/Word tangle badly needed

I got a new computer and went from Win98SE to XP.  I just realized that
ALL my old documents from Win98SE that were created in WordPad, are not
readable now. even though I have WordPad on the new system.  When I try to
open them, I get the message:
"Cannot load Word for Windows 6.0 files".  I don't understand that, because
I never had Word for Windows.  For a brief period of time, I had a program
that would read Word documents.  I tried it, because  people were sending me
documents produced in Word that I couldn't read.
Now I can't
remember exactly why I uninstalled it, except that it was affecting my
existing WordPad documents in some way.   I suppose it corrupted my Wordpad
documents, although I was able to read them in WordPad on my old system as
recently as the day I switched to the new system.  It's only my new system
that is having problems with them, even though it has WordPad..  I KNOW the
documents I'm trying to open now were
created in WordPad, because they're documents I created myself within my old
Win98SE system.  AND, they're documents I need badly.  (There are probably
thousands of them covering several years.)
Carol Hanson

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>