Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 14:04:52 -0400
I'm sorry to disagree, but Marianne's statements about GIF files is not
entirely correct.

GIF files are popular on the 'net because they can be animated and because
they can have transparent backgrounds.  No because they are necessarily
smaller

JPG files CAN be significantly smaller than GIFs by working with the
compression ratio AND the Dots Per Inch.
Graphic artists typically prefer the JPG because of the higher color count
AND the compressability.

Any decent grapics editing program should have the capability of changing
the compression ratio of a JPG image and DPI count.

To illustrate:

In the following, I am working with a digital image from my Sony camera,
it was a standard 640x480 JPG  at 31K in size.

I loaded this image into my grapics editor and saved it as a GIF.  It
swelled to a file size of 176K

I loaded the original image again and saved it as a new (different name)
JPG file with a compression of 1 and the file size was 99K --- significantly
larger than the original, but still only about 60% of the size of the GIF.

Next I reloaded the same original file and saved it as a third JPG with a
compression of 50 which resulted in a file size of only 29K.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====