Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Darren Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 00:55:21 -0500
> Alright all you NT gurus out there...

> Apparently, however, the standard end-user network accounts with only
> Domain User permissions can't change the time on their own workstations.
> Nothing about the required permissions was mentioned in the MS-KB
> article, nor have I found a set of search keywords that gives me a clue
> either on the website or in the NT help files.
>
> Anybody able to point me in the right direction?  Hmmmm??
>
> -JOWj.

        By default only server operators and administrators have the right to set
the system time.
        I have seen the net time command work from windows95 clients with no
problems, but with machines that are actually part of the domain, like NT
Workstations and other NT servers, I believe that you have to grant the
right to change the time to a user through the group to which they belong.
i.e. You have to give domain users the right to do this. Log-on as
administrator (or admin privileges) and go to: Administrative Tools
(Common), User Manager for Domains, click on Policies, User Rights, select
Change System Time from the drop-down list, click on add, select Domain
Users, click on add, ok, ok.
        I need to clear up one thing: I am not sure if that right applies to
changing the time on the server only, or to any machine in the domain.
You'll have to try it. If it does apply to the server only, you'll want to
remove the right to change the time from domain users because they will be
able to change the server time, and not their own system time. If this is
the case, look through the NT user policies to see if the change time
command has been disabled (from memory, I don't think that it is available
as a restriction).
        Unfortunately, here at home I only have 95 machines to log in to my NT
server, so I can't try it myself.

BTW the syntax that I use for NET is:

NET TIME \\servername /s /y
          actual MACHINE name  /s for SET and /y for YES.

HTH

Darren K. Page
Montreal, Qc

                            The NOSPIN Group