Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 13:21:26 -0400
During an install of a "NEW" program, I got a very
complete warning that my system had an older copy
of a DLL that was known to cause problems with their
software. (It listed both version numbers and everything.)
They told me to get an archive with two DLL's in it from
their WEB site, and put them in the new programs directory,
 (So far so good...),
OR I could put them in c:\windows\system. (NOT!)
(Program still crashes.)
Only one file was newer, the other was VERY old.
Is it GENERALLY "OK" to put in windows\system a
NEWER DLL with the same name, and HIGHER internal
version number?
(And doesn't a good install program check that and do it
for you?)

More info:
>I did not move your files into the c:\windows\system folder,
>because one of yours is seriously older.
>In c:\windows\system, msvcrt40 is v 4.2000.6164 5/31/98 1:30am
>Yours is              msvcrt40    v 4.10.6038   2/20/96 1:03am
 The error message reffered to a different file: mfc40.dll
    Rick