Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 07:21:32 EDT
In a message dated 09/28/1999 11:39:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I recently tried to do a clean install of Win98 from my upgrade CD without
my
 actual previous version (Win95). I tried the following two tips, and they did
 not work. Does anyone know why? Has anyone had success using either method
 with the Win98 upgrade?

 1.  Create a file in the root directory of c: drive named "ntldr"
 <snip>
 Win98 setup did not accept this.

 2. Open Notepad and save a document as WIN.CN_
 <snip>
 Win98 setup did not accept this.

 I have used these tips successfully with the Win95 upgrade CD in the past,
 but for me they did not work with the Win98 upgrade CD. Comments, anyone?

 Bryan S. Tyson

Hi,
  I'm sure Microsoft was aware of these *cheats* by the time they released
98, so its' checking routine is much more thorough than 95 was for upgrade
status. I have used the 3.1 install floppies as upgrade verification, and
whereas 95 used just floppy #1,  98 uses about 5 of the floppies, checking
for certain files on each one. I'm not aware of any *cheats* similar to the
ones for 95 that will work with 98.

HTH,
Peter Hogan

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: