Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Brad Britton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 00:01:06 -0700
Jim Meagher wrote:

> I would guess that even though the file NOW only contains
> a period, it did have more text (at one time) which has beem
> deleted.  That deleted text is stored in the file history
> (the UNDO button) and so, the file is larger than expected.

Interesting comment. But if I only open a word 97 file without
entering any text, then save the document, the size is still
19K.

> You said the image file was LINKED -- this means the
> picture does not actually "live" inside the document.  What
> happens when you create a link is: that Word only stores
> the path and filename of the picture.  This is the difference
> between LINKING and EMBEDDING.  An embedded image would create
> a complete copy of the picture INSIDE the document.

After I read your explanation, I tried linking a simple picture
into the empty word document (I couldn't link it using paint,--
so I linked it using CorelDraw.-- I guess I was mistaken when I
stated that I used Paint in my original question). Then I deleted
the CorelDraw document that I saved. When I reopened the word
document containing the linked picture (size is now under 16K, as
compared to the empty document which is 19K) the picture still
appeared in the Word 97 document. So if the picture is not actually
in the word document, where does it come from? I restarted the
computer, (in case the picture was being retrieved from memory
somehow) and got the same results.

Now I am confused as to how linking works, as well as how an
empty document is larger than a document with a linked image.

Thanks to all who responded.
Brad Britton

                                  -----
        **Need help with PCSOFT mailing list? Send an Email to:**