Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:56:13 -0800
On 14 Feb 99, at 19:33, Dan Shaughnessy wrote:

> I have an interesting problem on my small home network, that is
> driving me insane.  PCA is my main computer and has 2 NIC's
> installed, along with Sygate to allow PCB to access internet.  PCB
> can access internet over this connection and works fine for hours.
> However, whenever I try to transfer files of any size between
> computers the network connection drops.  For example, moving a 20MB
> folder containing several files...the transfer starts,  about 5 MB is
> successfully transfered, then system just stops and I get a message,
> the Network resource is no longer available.  This happens regardless
> of which PC I am transfering from. Currently I have TCP/IP, Netbui
> and IPX/SPX installed on both computers. I have tried each of the
> protocols individually, with the same results.  I have removed and
> reinstalled the cards in both machines (in different slots).  I have
> removed and reinstalled ALL of the protocols with the same result.
> Both PC's can see the other fine in the Network Neighborhood, and I
> can browse either PC fine from the other, but again, they just "die"
> when transferring files.

  There are two things that spring to my mind:

1.  How do you copy the files?  XCOPY has a "restart on error" setting
which can sometimes be helpful.

2.  Tell us about the NICs:  ISA/PCI?  10-BaseT, 100-, 10/100, or what?
Moving large files could be forcing excessive retransmits until the
sender gives up.

David G

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html