Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
A&C Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2002 08:52:59 -0700
From: "Ian"
Subject: Re: [PCSOFT] Ad - Aware update

> Thanks for the tip Al.  You sound like you're fairly switched on about
> Ad-Aware: can you explain which files do what and go where?
> I know this probably sounds like a dumb question, but the AdAware site
> always confuses the heck outta me, and I'm never sure I got the right files
> and put them into the right folder.
>
> TIA
>
> Ian Porter

Ian,

There is a lot to be said about clarity. To get Ad-aware, click on 'downloads' or the Ad-aware
banner. You're correct in that the site is a little confusing, and I think it's been mentioned
before that the author's first language is probably not English. With that said, I'm sure there's
others whom could decipher which files do what, but as far as the programs go, it's fairly straight
forward. I use the default install locations for both programs:

- Ad-Aware installs to C:\Program Files\Lavasoft Ad-aware
- Refupdate 2.01 installs to C:\Program Files\Lavasoft Refupdate.

Ad-aware runs under Win9x \ ME \ NT40 \ XP and Win2000.

The 'readme' file for the reference update program ( Refupdate 2.01 ) states:

"Before using this utility the first time, please open the options-menu, and specify the destination
directory in which the files will be downloaded. This should be the same folder Ad-aware is using
for the reference file. By default this will be Ad-aware installation directory. Note: It is
recommended to check the backup option too."

The statement above is just asking where to download the reference file to, not the program itself.
However, the instructions are not complete - it *should* read: "Before using this utility the first
time, please open the options-menu and select preferences...". That will give you the opportunity to
download the reference file to the proper location.

The default location to install the reference file  ( I think it's refile.awr ) will be C:\Program
Files\Lavasoft Ad-aware, which only needs to be changed if you have Ad-Aware installed to somewhere
other than the default installation location. You only need to tell it the path once (the first time
you run it). Keep in mind that updating the reference file is not automated and you have to run the
program in order to update the file. I hope this answers your questions.

Al Thompson