Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 15:17:37 -0800
On 26 Oct 98 at 14:57, S.B. wrote:

> Since yesterday, I've received 4 fatal exception errors with the following
> message:
>
>         Windows
> A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C0011F77 in VXD VMM(01) +
> 00010F77.  The current application will be terminated.

> At this point, my computer freezes and I'm forced to press the reset
> button.  I then run scandisk, and each time it finds 364,544 bytes of
> information, which it fixes.  Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

  VxD's are virtual device drivers; VMM is the virtual machine
manager, which has some VxD's built in and loads others.
  Most exceptions at this level are invalid memory accesses; these
can be invalid values provided by higher-level code.

  So it would be useful to try to identify some common application
element that these crashes have in common.  Without that information,
my best guess would be that the video driver is broken or has become
corrupted.
  There are two things you could try.  One is to go into System
Manager|Performance, and back off the video acceleration a step or
two.  Yes, this will probably slow the system down slightly, but if
it doesn't work it really doesn't matter how fast it goes.  [It's
quite possible that pixels will be hitting the video buffer at the
same rate, but what this control does is shift responsibility away
from the driver and more into the OS, and *that* may be at the
expense of other CPU-bound processing.]
  The other thing to try is visiting the web site of the maker of
your video card, and looking for updated drivers and possibly also
video BIOS.  This should cover both the case where your current
driver has gotten corrupted, and where you're encountering a problem
which the manufacturer has a fix for.

David G

                                  -----