Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 17:40:42 -0800
On 23 Sep 98 at 18:30, Sean Celestine wrote:

>  P.S.  I hope I did this right.

  Sending HTML-encoded mail to Internet mailing lists is generally a
bad idea.  Some mailers handle HTML poorly, and some not at all.  [I
recently saw a suggestion that HTML-formatted mail should be
responded to in PostScript, but I'm not that upset yet....]

> Hello, fellow listers.  I have been learning a lot from the list and
> I now need some specific help.  I am trying to set up a network at
> home to share files, printer, and maybe internet access between

  [The mailer I use doesn like messages to contain lines that run for
more than 255 characters without a carriage-return/linebreak.  IMHO,
Word makes a very poor editor for composing e-mail....]

> my desktop (IBM Aptiva, 233MHZ, 64MEG, WIN95B, DLINK DE-528CT Combo
> Ethernet PCI Adapter card) and my laptop (Dell Latitude XPI CD
> P166ST, 166MHZ, 48MEG, WIN95B, 3COM EtherLink III LAN PC Card).  I
> am a Network Novice.  I have them physically connected, and their
> respective drivers installed.  Now what?

  I have several of the DLink DE-528CT cards (they were recently on
special for about $8 each...), and I'm very happy with them.
  There are, however, a couple of hardware issues we should check on
before getting into the software end of things.
  I assume that a laptop's LAN card probably talks 10-BaseT through
an RJ-45 jack, so you're connecting from this jack to the RJ-45 jack
on the desktop machine.  Note that in order to do this without a HUB,
you need a "crossover" cable.  Have you done that?

  The "Network" applet in the Control Panel allows you to install and
configure networking components.  Assuming your adapter is already
installed and recognized, you need to install and configure one or
more "protocols", one or more "clients", and possibly one or more
"services".
  Protocols:  If you're going to want to connect to the net, you
should install TCP/IP.  I wouldn't install any others unless/until
you have some need to.  Most of the ugly details are in the TCP/IP
configuration panes.
  Clients:  The "Client for Microsoft Networks" is preferred.
  Services:  "File and Printer Sharing" will prove handy.

  Under "Identification, you need to give each machine a distinct
name, and put them in the same workgroup (defaults to "WORKGROUP").
You need to give each its own IP address (I recommend 192.168.0.2 and
192.168.0.3) and set the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0) on both.

  I think that's the most important stuff.  You don't have WINS or
DHCP or DNS to worry about, so disable them.
  Around this point, you should be seeing each machine appear in the
other's "Network Neighborhood" (this can take a couple of minutes),
and be able to share printers, drives, folders or files back and
forth.  [Or come back here with a more specific question....]

David G

                                  -----
        **Need help with PCSOFT mailing list? Send an Email to:**