Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Sue Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 May 2002 10:05:03 -0400
On 19 May 2002 at 0:34, Robert Elmers wrote:

> I failed to say that the computer I would use to transfer to, via a cable,
> would have been a laptop with WinME. If this is not feasible, I will get
> another computer and I will try the two replies I have so far recieved.

Hi Bob,

Yes, you can use a direct cable connection to transfer the data
between the two machines.
This is from the Windows "HELP" files:
To set up a direct cable connection
*   Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories,
    point to Communications, and then click Direct Cable
    Connection.
*   Follow the instructions on the screen.
Notes
*   Once you successfully run Direct Cable Connection on
    this computer, the Direct Cable Connection wizard does
    not appear unless you click Change in the Direct Cable
    Connection dialog box. The Direct Cable Connection
    wizard then starts and you can change your previous
    settings.
*   If you do not see Direct Cable Connection on your
    Communications menu, then the component is not
    installed. To find out how to install Direct Cable
    Connection, click Related Topics.
To add or remove a Windows component
*   to open the Add/Remove Programs Properties dialog
    box at the Windows Setup tab.
*   Under Components, click the component you want to
    add or remove.
*   To add all parts of the component, select its
    check box.
*   To remove all parts of the component, click to
    clear its check box.
*   To add or remove some parts of the component,
    click Details, and then click to select or clear
    check boxes for those parts.
Notes
*   You can also open the Add/Remove Programs
    Properties dialog box at the Windows Setup tab by
    clicking Start, pointing to Settings, clicking Control
    Panel, double-clicking Add/Remove Programs, and then
    clicking the Windows Setup tab.
*   If you used a compact disc to install Windows, you will
    be prompted to insert it into your computer.
This is from the Windowa 9* help, but I'm assuming the same
is true for Win ME.
FWIW, I just went through the same thing, having acquired
three used computers in better shape than the one I had. I was
unable to set up a DCC, so started transferring files through
telnet (Hyperterminal). That was taking way too long, so I used
the two network interface cards that I found in one of my
purchases to link the two together (old and newer) to just drag
and drop. I also didn't have the room in the new one (or old
one) since two drives were already in there, and I didn't want to
copy the entire contents of the old drive to the new (clean up
time).
Good luck, and if you want more info on setting up a network
between the two, please contact me (off list if you want) and I'll
asssist you as much as I can. Even if you have to buy the
components (NIC and cable) it's not that expensive and sure
saves a lot of grief.

                       http://freepctech.com/rode