Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Chris Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2006 07:37:22 -0500
-----Original Message-----

Date:    Sat, 11 Nov 2006 18:07:44 -0500
From:    Ron Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: 'Open With' jammed

I have accidentally altered the settings in my computer (AMD Sempron, WIN=
 XP) so that most of the programs in Control Panel open in WordPad, in Co=
de, making them inaccessible. System Restore, which I hoped to use to esc=
ape this mess, also opens in WordPad, in code; and if I select RUN AS, I'=
m told I haven't got security clearance (this is a home PC, no network).
When I reboot, a Wordpad windoe appears superimposed on the desktop, actu=
ally a whole stack of them, each showing a different file in code, such a=
s qttask, swdoctor, SOUNDMAN, etc, and each must be deleted by mouse clic=
k.

This happened, apparently, as I was deleting some old Compaq Diagnostics =
files from a floppy; one (DIAG.EXE) would not delete, so I opened it in W=
ordPad to see if a clue could be found -  this led to an MSDOS screen app=
earing which I exited from, using A for abort. Now, Wordpad is the only d=
evice which opens nearly all programs.

How can I return to the normal setup for opening ( and making use of) pro=
grams? (In Control Panel, Administrative tools will open normally, but no=
t System which comes up in WP).

Help desperately needed!

------------------------------
I experienced this type of problem recently because of a popular
anti-spyware app. Somehow on re-boot, it denied some registry 'changes' and
I was unable to open any program unless I navigated to the program folder
and selected the *.exe file and then 'run as' from within that file.

Apparently, the association of *.exe files has been replaced with Wordpad.
Every single program you have will need to be reassociated with the *.exe
file that runs it. There may be a way to alter this in the registry, but I
could not find it with my PC. If you have recent backups of your documents
and programs, you might need to re-install Windows if a repair installation
does not work. Do you own a Windows disk?

Maybe another member will have a solution that would prove less drastic.

Chris Ryan

                       http://freepctech.com/rode