Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 08:56:07 -0500
On Mon, 11 Jan <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>This makes me think of another "situation" that happened to me
>quite a few times already...  You add a new hard drive or
>create a new partition and then all the games you installed
>from your CD-ROM drive "D:" are now looking for a CD in this
>drive, but the CD-ROM letter is now "E:" (or "F:" or whatever)!!
>What can you do besides re-installing every game?

The easiest way, (opps! too late), to overcome this is
to force the CD to a higher drive letter DURING the
ORIGINAL installation of your operating system, OR RIGHT
AWAY (just after) -- (Planning ahead...)
There is a switch for assigning the CD letter in the real
mode drivers.
Once DOS/Windows is "handed" that letter (ORIGINALLY), it
"sticks", (Mostly), see below.
Lots of the people and builders on this list a while back
said to use "L" or higher for the CD. This was before Win98
allowed you to have less drive letters than the 2G limits
(and below) of the "old days".
For some reason, lots of computer makers still include this
"hidden time bomb" feature, (CD on "D"), with the systems
they make...
Note: Sometimes the CD will get "moved" by some sort of
"problem" in Win9X after all the programs/games are properly
installed from "L").  This is very easy to fix at that time.
You just go into:
Control Panel|System|Device Manager|CD-ROM|Settings,
and reserve the CD-ROM letter "back" from where you installed
your programs/games.
More note: This will not fix the problem you have now.
Reason: GENERALLY, it is VERY hard get ide hard drives to list
after or have higher letters than a CR-ROM.
(Had it, got rid of it...)
Bottom Line:  Next time you "redo" the system, try the first
part, above.  If real mode switches "throw" you, do the second
part RIGHT AWAY instead. This is just about as good...
You CAN make your original problem go away! (Takes some work.)
      Good luck,  Rick

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html