Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bryan Tyson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 23:21:30 EDT
From: [log in to unmask] (Bryan S. Tyson)
Subject: Using Win98 Upgrade CD as Full Version

I recently tried to do a clean install of Win98 from my upgrade CD without my
actual previous version (Win95). I tried the following two tips, and they did
not work. Does anyone know why? Has anyone had success using either method
with the Win98 upgrade?

1. Boot your system from a boot diskette (Windows 95/98 startup
disk, or DOS bootable  Diskette). Create a file in the root
directory of c: drive named "ntldr" (no quotes). The file can't
be a zero-byte file, so edit it and put rem on a single line with
no spaces in front of it. This should bypass the check for
previous version of Windows by fooling the system into thinking
that NT is installed.

Win98 setup did not accept this.

2. If you're installing Win95 on a system without a previous version of
Windows installed, Win95 asks you to prove you have installed a previous
version of DOS or Windows. If you don't have your old diskettes handy, here's
how to get around the dialog:

Open Notepad and save a document as WIN.CN_   Put your new WIN.CN_ file on a
diskette - your boot diskette or Win95 startup disk will do. When you reach
the point in the installation where Win95 asks you to show it a previous
version, put in the diskette with the WIN.CN_ file on it. The installation
program will accept it as proof of a previous version.

Win98 setup did not accept this.

I have used these tips successfully with the Win95 upgrade CD in the past,
but for me they did not work with the Win98 upgrade CD. Comments, anyone?

Bryan S. Tyson

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html