Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 02:57:29 -0700
On 19 Aug 2001, at 17:48, Dan Ellis wrote:

> Are there any good web reference sites that deal with windows 2000
> logs? I'd like to see a list of my ip traffic, and what other log
> information I can find.

  The Event Log mechanism in Windows 2000 is not much changed from
NT, and there is no built-in provision to log network traffic.  (I'd
be somewhat interested in entertaining ideas for what such a thing
would look like, if anyone cares to pitch them my way...!)
  The two best references I have on the Event Log stuff are both from
a programmer's perspective, and so may not be all that helpful to
you.

> I'd also like to learn more about process automation like batch
> scripts to shutdown a system, and do other tasks like set time, and
> backups.

  The original NT "Schedule" service ("AT" command) was replaced, by
installation of some IE version (4?) by a new Scheduled Processes
facility which I believe is shared across 98, ME and 2000.  Its
capabilities are more or less similar to Unix's "cron" command -- it
will execute a specified command, which could be the name of a batch
file, on a specified schedule.
  (Personally, I don't think shutdown is something I'd want to
schedule, but perhaps that's just me.)

David Gillett

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml