Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bruce Boschek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 1999 21:38:31 +0100
Errol,

It is in fact possible to install Linux in a FAT (DOS) partition, but it
is very disappointing as it will run very slowly even on a fast machine.
You need to boot from the Linux install disk and partition the drive
from the Linux installation program, creating at least one large
partition for the main Linux system and a small (<180MB) swap partition.
Linux, like Unix, does not use the term "format," but rather speaks of
"creating a file system." You will then create a standard Linux file
system on the large partition and a Linux swap file system on the small
partition. Then you go ahead with the normal installation.

The problem with XF86 may be that you didn't install the package and may
not have anything to do with the file type.

I would say that partitioning and creating the file systems is the most
confusing part of setting up Linux, but Caldera has a pretty intuitive
installation program, once you get the hang of it. The help is all
online and you have to figure out how to get to it and use it. I think
it is mostly in HTML format and you should have Netscape installed (or
Lynx for command line). The Linux man pages are pretty cryptic and
esoteric for a newcomer.

Later on you may want to repartition and put some of the operating
system on a third partition, which you will need to "mount," but for now
I would just set up the two partitions and get a feel for the system.

Linux is demanding and the learning curve is steep in the beginning, but
it is definitely worth it! If you need detailed help you may e-mail me
directly - or there may be someone else on the list that is more
knowledgeable.

Good luck and have fun,

Bruce

Bruce Boschek - Giessen, Germany

In <000701be99f1$99737000$d4a6fea9@errol>, on 05/09/99
   at 09:57 AM, Errol <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Greetings all,

>This question is for all the Linux experts out there.

>I purchased Caldera Linux Version 1.3 on CD which also came with a
>boot/installation disk.

-- snip --

>I would like to start the installation process from scratch again and
>do it properly this time.

>Please can somebody tell me exactly what to do?  There will not be any
>other system on this hard drive other that Linux.

         The PCSOFT web site always needs good submissions.  If
               software tech tips or software reviews to: