Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
A&C Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 10:41:39 -0700
From: "David Hurst"
Subject: [PCSOFT] Sending page or link from IE 6.0

> I had raised this question a month or so ago with this august body, but have yet to get fix to the
problem.  I am sure you aren't stumped.....!! *G*

> When in IE 6.0, and wanting to send the page or link to an email address, I click on FILE.. SEND..
but when I click on either the selection to send the page or the link, nothing happens...
nothing..!!!!!   I have uninstalled and reinstalled IE several times to no avail.   This used to
work I am sure, and I know of nothing I have do to change the setting.  I am running XP home on a
850 mhx HP machine.

> Could I have a setting someplace that could cause this..??  or what ?
>
> Appreciate any advice you might offer, on or off list.
>
> Thanks
>
> David Hurst
---------------

David,

Although my problems with IE6 and OE6 were very different from yours, I was going to reply to your
message a month ago but decided to wait, and then forgot altogether. The following are only my
opinions, observations and experiences. Keep in mind that I run WinME, not XP.

I'm not one who moves quickly to upgrade or update software, specifically IE & OE. I usually watch
and wait while others fight to work out the bugs. Then, when the most common problems have an
acceptable work-around, I upgrade. The only exception to my *usual* reluctance was with regard to
Microsoft's "critical updates" - these I had no qualms about installing right away, until recently.
A couple months ago I began seeing many little glitches with IE5.5 & OE5.5, which seemed to happen
for no apparent reason. Looking for a fix to solve these sudden annoyances, I decided to upgrade to
IE6 & OE6. In time I managed to get both working acceptably, but never really solved the "glitches"
which I had set out to fix. Then one day, about six weeks ago, I went and installed the most recent
"critical update". That was when my major problems began, for which I had no obvious alternative but
to install another hard drive in order to salvage my data. ( I did not wish to lose my data, which
my recovery disk would have formatted into oblivion. I also had no backups at the time, but now have
all my programs and data on one hard drive, and my OS [WinME] on another. )

To make a long story short, both IE5.5 & OE5.5 *had* been working, almost flawlessly, until I
started regularly installing the critical updates. I truly believe that all the glitches and
problems began there because I had made no other significant changes to my system. My effort to
resolve the problems by upgrading to IE6 & OE6 only seemed to make things worse - at the very least
it did not solve anything. Since formatting my hard drive and clean-installing my OS, I have
returned to IE5.5 & OE5.5 and so far, very few of these "glitches" have returned. I know I'm
generalizing here, as every system is different, but when everything runs fine and there aren't any
major problems, why mess with it?

I have no idea if any of this will help solve your problems, or even if it was the cause of mine,
but to sum it all up I guess I'm saying that I no longer trust IE6 or "critical updates", and will
not be so hasty to upgrade in the future. These, of course, are only my personal opinions.

Al Thompson

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml