Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Jn Ottie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:29:50 -0400
Original Message -----
From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 1:51 PM
Subject: [PCSOFT] PC ScanandSweep + PCPitstop

Folks,
About a week ago something called PC ScanandSweep invaded my computer and I don't know how it got there - except that I must have done something wrong.  Anyway, there are its numerous icons on the desktop and every time it boots all kind of messages come up warning me about over 7000 junk items in my machine.
What is this "thing"?  Is it dangerous?  What do I do to kill it?  Or should I kill it?  Are they trying to sell me something?  If so, is it worthwhile? etc.
If the machine is really full of junk, is this or another one called PC Pitstop worthwhile?  I feel OK about virus protection as my ISP came with McAfee as part of the service.
Thanks in advance,
Lewis E.

$$$

Good Afternoon Lewis,

I don't anything about 'PC ScanandSweep',  in fact I've never heard of it until your post, but I can tell you that there quite a bit of software out there of similar ilk that often does more harm than good. I do however know what works for me and is what is generally favored by knowledgable PC users around the world.

I'll try to keep my recommendations brief and to the point, so please forgive any syntax concessions made along the way:

1) Uninstall 'PC ScanandSweep';

2) If you can successfully uninstall PC ScanandSweep and you're running Windows XP, you might wish to consider rolling back to a System Restore Point that predates PC ScanandSweep's invasion of your machine; if you're not running XP or a rollback is not possible or advisable for one or more good reasons, that's okay too;

3) Download and install the following programs from FileHippo.com http://www.filehippo.com/ (if you already have one or more installed, then simply update them and use them to clean up whatever debris, garbage spyware, malware and other pests that may have found a home on your your hard drive after you've rid yourself of 'PC ScanandSweep';

3a) CCleaner 1.41.544 @ http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/;

3b) Ad-Aware Personal 1.06r1 @ http://www.filehippo.com/download_ad-aware/?2466 (there's a relatively new release of Ad-Aware available but I'm not personally ready to sign-off on it as of yet and Ad-Aware Personal 1.06r1 is still fully supported by the developers);

3c) Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4 @ http://www.filehippo.com/download_spybot_search_destroy/?148 (again there is a newer release but it's still in beta testing);

3d) AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5.1.43 @ http://www.filehippo.com/download_ewido/ (formerly known as an Ewido product); it will install as trialware but will default to a fully functional forensic application at the end of the trial period if you choose not to purchase);

3e) If you need a  good, easy-to-use, robust and FREE firewall, I recommend Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6.2808 @ http://www.filehippo.com/download_sygate_personal_firewall/; it has a much lighter footprint than ZoneAlarm without all the gee-whiz, but unnecessary bells & whistles;

3f) If you're happy with the McAfee package that came from your ISP, so be it ... but my personal preference would be to dump McAfee and Norton products because they can be resource hogs and much too intrusive for my liking in favor of AVG Free Edition 7.5.476 @ http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus/. Grisoft's AVG Anti-Virus is offered as freeware here in the United States and is well-developed and updated on a continual basis (often multiple updates are released in a single 24 hour period). Millions of people are satisfied with it's performance, ease-of-use and protection.

If you decide to employ one or more of the above recommendations, just take it one step and a time, program by program, until your machine's is transformed into a calm, well-behaved and smooth running PC once again.

Others on the list will possibly advocate similar or perhaps even quite different approaches to clearing up the mess you're seeing on your machine, but we'll all be working to get you the same desirable end result.

HTH my friend. I am,

Very truly yours,
Jeffrey Ottie

eom