Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Jeffrey Delzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Sep 1998 23:28:10 -0500
Mick Fitzpatrick wrote:

> I've read a few posts on Build reference CD writers not working under W98,
> mine is one of them!! Therefore I would like to re-install W95B. I can't
> format my HD as I need to back up loads of info onto CD before I do that and
> of course my CD writer will not work under W98. Therefore, my question is:
>
> Is it possible to install W95B on top of W98?
>
> or
>
> Does anyone know of a  software solution to get my HP4020i writer working in
> W98.

I would strongly recommend against trying to install 95 over 98, or
deleting your Windows folder and reinstalling, etc. That's pretty much a
one way street leading up to a total reformat and clean reinstall. If
your 4020i is an ATAPI/IDE model, you should make sure your ASPI layer
is current and correctly installed. Adaptec (http://cdr.adaptec.com) has
a program called ASPICHK.EXE that checks your currently installed ASPI
layer and reports version numbers and whether the installation is
correct and complete. You might also want to get the latest ASPI drivers
from the Adaptec site. FWIW, my version is 4.57 (1009), which is fairly
current.

If the 4020i is SCSI, I can't provide specific help, but once again I'd
say to install the latest drivers for it and/or reinstall the CDR
software you intend to use with it if you haven't already done so.

Lastly, be aware that installing Win98 over earlier Windows versions
will necessarily overwrite certain system files. Jim Meagher recently
wrote about this, among others. Find out what was changed by going to
Start / Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Information. Once
System Information is running, look under its Tools menu and select
Version Conflict Manager. The Win98 installation intentionally replaces
some newer system files with older ones because, according to MS, those
older files represent a known working and stable environment. Your
hardware may very well require the newer files, however.

If all else fails, you're invited to browse through the CDR archives at
Adaptec's site, or even join the CDR mailing list run by Adaptec and ask
for help there. Your problem has come up before and been answered there,
but what I've given above is all I can remember off the top of my head.

Other relevant URL's are:
Adaptec CDR Web site: http://cdr.adaptec.com

Jeff Delzer

                                  -----
        **Need help with PCSOFT mailing list? Send an Email to:**