Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:24:33 -0800
Sven,
Well after your message, I took another look at the Avast help section,
because mine is version 4.5 and it has definitely NOT been checking my
incoming mail.  (I've found a few viruses when I've scanned attachments
that I'd saved to separate folders.)  According to Avast Help, it does
not automatically scan emails with my version, (Win98SE)......too old I
guess.  I just set it up through the Wizard, so we'll see if it works
now.

I don't know if those incoming emails were AVG protected or not.  I
didn't see the text saying they were at the bottom of the emails, but I
could have missed it.  I have no faith in AVG showing that text,
though......or any faith in AVG at all.  A year or so ago, I downloaded
it.  It seemed to be working, since it told me on startup that there
were no viruses, and yet if I ran a scan immediately thereafter, it
would invariably tell me I had a virus that it fixed.   It also never
put that text at the bottom of my outgoing emails.  Then I got a virus,
so that was the end for me, on that second installation.   (I had
downloaded and uninstalled it twice and had the same problems both
times, a couple of months apart, so I guess it just wasn't compatible
with my system.)

I guess it will remain a mystery, why I get emails that show the
attachment icon when there is no attachment.  This won't be the first
time my system worked in a way that's a mystery.   I will, however,
carefully check to see if they have the AVG text at the bottom, next
time I get one.
Thanks,
Carol Hanson

> Hi Carol,
>
> Interesting. The latest version of avast! (v4.5) filters e-mail
traffic
> automatically. I don't know if it has an option to disable that
function. As
> I recall, this didn't occur when I first installed the beta version of
the
> new AVG. I can't pinpoint it exactly but the attachment icon, along
with the
> paper clip, started appearing sometime later after the final version
was
> released. Several friends also reported the same thing. In the
interim,
> several program updates were released along with several updates from
> Windows Update. An AVG Forum moderator says with AVG it's because of
the
> certification statement AVG adds to e-mail which some e-mail programs
see as
> an attachment.
>
> Two friends and I checked it using various settings and found that if
it is
> set to only certify (which inserts a line and adds the certification
> statement to the bottom of the e-mail) both incoming and outgoing mail
with
> attachments, then the icon doesn't appear on an e-mail without an
> attachment.
>
> By default AVG is set to certify all mail. Could it be that the
senders of
> the e-mail in question are using AVG? Maybe some other avast! users
will
> shed some light on this.
>
> Sven Swanson, Sr.

              The NOSPIN Group is now accepting donatations
              to continue providing PCSOFT and our website.
           Visit http://freepctech.com to donate using Paypal