Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Darren Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 18:13:15 -0400
Try getting an evaluation of Conseal Pc Firewall for Win 95/98 from
www.signal9.com.
This is the firewall that I use with my cable modem, it is a very nice
little program. I cannot speak for elsewhere, but with my cable modem
service from Videotron here in Montreal, I have never experienced or heard
of any security problems like I have read about elsewhere, they have a top
notch service, and it is speedy too. I would check with your cable company
for more information about security and how secure their service is. The
only thing Videotron warned me about via their website was to make sure that
users did not set up a proxy server (read wingate) improperly (ie insecure).

Darren K. Page

> I'm anticipating cable modem in early June and I've thought about the same
> issues regarding static IP and continuous connection.  I've been trying a
> proxy server to shield the IP address.  Go to http://lpwa.com,
> it's free and
> works well.  I tested in at anonymizer.com and it couldn't see my address.
> For a personal firewall, I'm using AtGuard (http://www.atguard.com) and it
> seems to work well.  It's normally $29.95, but I got an offer thru
> RealNetwork for the program for $14.95.  So far, so good.  Initially,
> however, it's a little cumbersome as you create rules for access to/from
> various sites.  But once created, it gets quicker.
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I  have had a cable modem for some time now and since my
> computer is on a
> > lot, and since whenever it is on, I am basically "on" the Internet, it
> > struck me that I might be vulnerable to malicious individuals who
> > could gain
> > access to my system. The matter is made worse (I think) by the
> > fact that my
> > cable provider has assigned me a static IP number. I assume this
> > means that
> > anyone who learns my IP number might well be able to get into
> my computer
> > from the net.

         The PCSOFT web site always needs good submissions.  If
               software tech tips or software reviews to: