Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2006 08:08:02 -0800
On 29 Nov 2006 at 18:14, AnnaSummers wrote:

> You should only run one firewall and not Microsoft's - it does not restrict
> outgoing data, which makes it pretty worthless.  ZoneAlarm is free and works
> just fine!

  I believe this was also a problem with BlackICE.  This was a reasonable
way for a network firewall to operate around 1993, but it's not adequate for
the modern environment.
  On the other hand, it's better than nothing.

> I have the same problem with Microsoft's firewall turning itself back on -
> mucho annoying - and haven't taken the time to figure out how to get it to
> stay off - has anyone out there???  One MORE reason I am very sorry I bought
> XP SP2 instead of sticking with SP1.   I really regret buying it and it was
> too expensive to buy another one.  I have been using SP1 for YEARS, and have
> never gotten a single virus/trojan etc.  With SP2, I had to reinstall my
> entire machine twice in the first month because of viruses.  I listened to
> others about SP2 instead of relying on my own judgement and I truly regret
> it.

  I don't believe Lewis' issue has anything to do with the MS firewall
"turning itself back on".  Rather, his issue is with SpybotSD not
understanding the mchanism by which ZA tells the Security Center NOT to
complain that the MS firewall ISN'T turned on.  (As far as SpybotSD knows,
until told differently, some piece of malware has disabled the MS firewall
and tweaked the registry to prevent SC from warning the user about it.)

> P.S.  I just got word that Microsoft is restricting third party vendors'
> access to VISTA kernel because they are trying to shut everyone else out of
> the security market and will be SELLING (not including with the OS) their
> own security software separately from Windows VISTA.  Another reason I won't
> be using VISTA.

  The latest I've been hearing seemed to suggest that Microsoft has been
negotiating a compromise with Symantec, CA, etc to resolve this.  Certainly
there are concerns about things that are changing in VISTA which can be
either very good or very bad, depending on how well Microsoft can make them
work.  I would not suggest that anyone try to make a final decision, for or
against, based on beta versions, rumours and speculations.  We won't really
know whether they've made it work until after the real product gets released
and used for a bit.
  [Hopefully, if it's hard for third parties to install themselves into the
kernel, that will be much harder on malware authors than on legitimate
security companies.  On the other hand, Microsoft is working on a scheme to
limit functionality of the system if a chunk of code decides to doubt
whether the copy you're running is properly paid for -- experience with XP
activation and the several generations of WGA should have taught us all that
getting this code right may be beyond Microsoft's (or anyone's) capability.]

David Gillett