Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 17:56:40 -0700
> Just installed 98 SE on my grandaughter's box and everything works great
> except at shutdown it hangs on the "Windows is shutting down" screen. It
> will just sit there forever. You can go ahead and turn it off with no
> consequences (it won't ask to run scandisk at restart or
> anything), but that
> is not the way it is supposed to work.
> Any ideas?

Ed and other that are having this problem. this is from a newsletter i get
on Win 98:

LINK OF THE WEEK - WINDOWS SHUTDOWN TROUBLESHOOTER 3.9
I found it. Actually, reader Roger Imai found it for me. You may remember
Roger from last week's Win98 Insider because he'd tried everything, but
nothing fixed his Windows shutdown problem. Well, Roger's a smiling kind of
guy these days, courtesy of two very good folks. James Eshelman has a superb
Web site called Windows Shutdown Troubleshooter, v. 3.9
(http://members.xoom.com/Khephra/a_shtdwn.htm). This site offers 15 steps
for fixing shutdown errors on any version of Win9x, and it's the best thing
I've seen to date on this subject. Roger's Win98 SE problem disappeared when
he followed Allan Smith's advice on working with the CONFIGMG.VXD file.
Allan's comments are in the Win98 SE part of Eshelman's Windows Shutdown
Troubleshooter.
But hold the presses! Just as I was sending this week's Win98 Insider,
Microsoft's Shawn Sanford called to warn us about something. He says that,
while the CONFIGMG.VXD fix does appear to work, Microsoft is concerned that
by reverting to the original Win98 version of the file, people could
experience blue screens, ACPI errors, and hardware failures. Sanford went on
to explain that Microsoft is aware of the Shutdown problem with SE, and that
it hopes to issue a patch on its Web site on by next Friday, Aug. 20th. "In
reality," he says, "that [file copy to \Windows\Systm\Vmm32] workaround may
cause more issues than it helps."

Brad Loomis
Los Angeles, CA

         PCSOFT only works if you contribute. Send your messages
              to be posted to: [log in to unmask]