Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Jerry Heston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 13:03:12 -0400
> Cable modems almost always use static IP addresses and are always
> connected. Though I haven't tried to figure out how to do it, I've heard
> it is *very* easy to see other users machines which share the connection
> in your area. I would strongly suggest a proxy or firewall. And, I'm
> surprised that cable companies don't inform their users of this. Seems
> to me there could be a liability issue there. Check out the FAQ at
> http://www.cablemodeminfo.com/ for more info. For advanced security
> info, check out http://www.inetdevgrp.org/19980721/ppframe.htm. I have
> not used either product, but I've heard good things about WinRoute
> (http://www.tinysoftware.com/) and WinGate (http://www.wingate.com/).
> --
> Kelly Younger

I just recently got set up with cable access and this has been a concern of
mine.  The cable ISP (@home) does use a proxy and I tested it at
http://www.anonymizer.com and it was pretty good.  I had been using the
Lucent proxy but that's going commercial (http://www.proxymate.com) and I
don't know what if anything they're charging.  I do have a static IP address
and that was also a concern of mine.  I've been using AtGuard as a firewall
(http://www.atguard.com) and it seems to be working well.

         PCSOFT only works if you contribute. Send your messages
              to be posted to: [log in to unmask]