Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Tim Doscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 22:36:43 -0700
I tend to agree with you.  You also have a ton of autoexec.*** and config.*** that pop up when installing various programs and they rename the old files with an unrecognized tag so that they remain unused. It does seem in some apps that these are necessary for instance in DOS based programs like Peachtree(old network version) autocad 12 and also ones that have cheezy sound cards.  It seems that more and more programmers are utilizing the registry now which is good but far more archaic for those who used win3.xx.  Intel actually states clearly that their bus master PIIX4 drivers cause problems in this concern, and when you build new systems and load the drivers (TX and LX chipset) you will lose sometimes lose yuor CD rom drive in control panel until you delete the config autoexec bat files.  Also another place that cheezy programs play with is the win ini and sysini files.  Well I guess I talked a whole lot and said nothing but that I definitely agree with you

-----Original Message-----
From:   Terry Hardy [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Wednesday, June 03, 1998 11:33 AM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Re: [PCSOFT] WIN95 Boots to C:\

At 06:59 AM 6/3/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Now when the machine boots it boots to the C:\....
>Says that he has checked his autoexec.bat and config.sys and all appear to be
correct.
>Machine apparently runs OK after C:\win to get to windows.

Try renaming config.sys and autoexec.bat (say config.xxx and autoexec.xxx) so
they don't run on startup, then reboot.

Note:  Unless config.sys and autoexec.bat contain reference to DOS drivers,
they are completely unnecessary for Windows 95 - in fact they're often a
hindrance since, if they load 16-bit drivers, they actually prevent Windows 95
from loading 32-bit drivers.  I'm amazed at how many users still have these
files on their systems.  They're really just a "throw back" to DOS days.

When Windows 95 first came out, a tech support guy at Corel (who had been
testing various betas of Windows 95)  told me to get rid of these files and
let
Windows install and load "cleanly".  I've often found that simply deleting
config.sys and autoexec.bat from so-called "problem" systems is the answer.
Judging from the messages posted on PCSOFT, however, it appears that many
users
are unaware that, more often than not, Windows 95 doesn't need these DOS
startup files.

Now - I know that some of you won't agree.  However, *please* don't barrage me
with arguments to the contrary.  I haven't had either config.sys or
autoexec.bat on my work and home systems for years and both are stable
machines.  So, whatever works....